Mish Mash

So, here's another post of just "stuff" -- life here in Africa:


This is Madame Adzo.  Her name is pronounced Ad-joe.  In the Anufo language, "z's" are "j's".  She came over the other day to show me how to make REAL HOMEMADE CROISSANTS.  Living in a country that was run by French people can come in really handy sometimes!  So here she is with them ready to go in the oven:



And this is what we ate later that day!  She made some regular ol' croissants and then we made some chocolate ones!  Suffering in Africa!




This next series of photos is to show you that puppies and long skirts are not a good combination:





And here we are, suffering for the Lord, in the pool.  THIS POOL IS GOD'S GRACE IN WATER-LIKE FORM.  I do not know what we would do without this pool, honestly.  It is so awesome, in the crazy heat here, to be able to jump in and feel refreshed.  Never have I been this hot.  Today I was at market buying some fabric and I'm standing in this little hole-in-the-wall shop and I'm drenched in sweat.  I can feel it running down my back as I stand there.  We left the shop, went home, grabbed our bathing suits and enjoyed, I mean, truly with hearts of gratitude, enjoyed the pool!







Here's the main man off to work -- on his "moto."  Seriously, the guy rides trails in Africa to get to work every day.  HE LOVES IT HERE!




A couple more of the puppies, because well........they are puppies!!




The other day I can hear this voice saying "Hey Mom, I'm an African lady.  Hey MOM, I'm an African lady!"  I peek around the corner into the living room and this is what I see:




This is my sweet, SWEET friend, Anna.  She arrived on a moto-taxi at our house and I had to take a picture.  Someday I will blog just on Anna.  She is one the toughest, bravest, most-in-love-with-Jesus, people that I know.



Everybody's doing it.  Here's Adam with his two girls, going through market on their moto.  We've seen up to five people on a moto here.   We've seen moto's carried on top of motos.  We've seen a guy carrying a double mattress on a moto.  We've seen goats on motos. We've seen a moto with about 10 bicycles on the back.  Motos are serious business here.



This is just a random shot of my neighbourhood as we walked to market one day.  These are their actual homes, my friends.  Just shacks made of grasses and sticks.


Tonight at supper, Nate was trying to give me directions to a place in town.  These are the words, verbatim, from his mouth.  Once he had spoken them I started to laugh, and said, "Only in Africa."  So here they are:

"So, go down our road and turn right at the egg lady.  When you come to the corner where that guys sits with his pants that show his butt crack, turn left.  Keep going past the little barber shop, til you get the the street where the tractor is parked.  Then turn right at the house with the big log out front."

This is a true story.  There are NO street names here.  This is how I find my way to our African version of Home Depot.  But that's another post.

Comments

  1. awesome post, sunshine! You'll have us all packing our bags to join you if you keep this up! You look so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those croissants look pretty amazing! Who knew Africa would provide the best in French pastries?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaugh, I want to come to you. Badly. Love every bit of following your adventure along, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo of teddy and the puppy at the door. The photog in me is so proud!
    I would love to come see you guys just to photograph everything lol. But alas someone must be here to raise and school the little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto on the photo of Teddy and the puppy -- it's picture-perfect. It looks like you're hanging in there with faith, with grace, and with humour. I keep praying!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding

More Proof that God Sees

Fufu Friday!