The Story Continues (Not for the Faint-of-Heart)


And the story continues….
After the first procedure of removing the pus, the docs proceeded to inform me that she was indeed a rather sick little girl and that it was God’s grace that we came in time.  Not that she would have died on the way, but her ankle joint was septic. “Septic arthritis” they said.  And that we were fortunate to get her to Tsiko before the infection moved from her joint and into her blood stream.

They took some of the pus and cultured it, hoping to discover if the infection was strep or staph.  And they started her on some heavy antibiotics!  She was on two or three different kinds, plus pain killers.
Todd and Kelly told me to bring her back at 9 pm that night (still Friday) to do the whole procedure again – suck out pus, and then irrigate the joint by putting three needles into her foot, and then basically flushing it with water.  The water goes in one needle hole and comes squirting out the others.

Here's Kylie's foot with the water coming out and hitting Todd's hand
We got settled in our room in the guest house and then returned to the hospital.  Amazingly, there was a man from the USA who was an anesthetist who extended his stay in Tsiko until December 29.  Gordon is Kylie’s hero!  He came to the treatment room and put her to sleep with some nice meds.  He called them “the milk of amnesia”!  They were able to do the entire procedure in less than half and hour.
Kylie's new Best Friend, Gordon!
Watching them do it to her made me feel a little queasy.  And Emily hadn’t eaten well on the trip down so by 9 pm we were both tired.  I knew that it was possible I could faint, but I stayed in the room but with my eyes down, in fact they were closed, just praying and praying and praying.  Emily had to hold Kylie’s other leg down so she ended up watching most of the procedure.  But by the end of it, we both felt like we were going to faint and had to put our heads between our knees.  Just after, Kylie came out of her “sleep”, took one look at the two of us sitting side by side, and in her post-drug-induced-sleepy and slurred voice, said “What’s the matter with those two??”  It gave us all a good (and much-needed) chuckle.

We went back to our room and I thought we would have a terrible first night.  But graciously, God allowed Kylie to sleep quite well, even though I had to wake her up in the night (and every night after) to give her meds.

That night I knew that people were praying, and my heart was so full of gratitude for those who were praying, for this hospital, for the kind staff and medical personnel, and for God’s goodness and mercy to Kylie.

At that point in time, Todd had talked to me about having to stay for about two weeks.  I was shocked.  When we left Mango that day I thought we’d be back in time to celebrate Christmas with Nate and the boys, as well as our team.  Bummer.  But we knew we had to stay so it didn’t take long to get over the disappointment. 

Saturday morning, we did the procedure at 9 am again.  A little less pus.  We came back to our room and she slept.  We went back again at 2 pm for more meds.  Returned to our room and she slept.  When we went back after supper for the procedure again, half way through it, the hospital lost power.  The room went pitch black and was silent.  The only sound was me, and I just whispered, “Oh my goodness!”  Thankfully, in just a few seconds the generator started up and we were back at it.
We went back to our room and Kind Dr. Kelly came to our guest house room at 11:30 pm to administer the last IV meds for the day!  Talk about great care – house calls!

Here's my sleepy head with her big splint/cast thing.  
And so that’s how the days went, back and forth to the hospital for meds, procedures etc.  Before each procedure, the docs and other staff gathered around Kylie and prayed.  Every time they did it, I almost cried.  Almost.  I was just so grateful for the care they give and the love they show!

On Saturday, Kelly came in with the lab results.  Turns out the antibiotics they had her on weren’t strong enough for the infection.  It was indeed a staph infection and staph was resistant to the medication.  They came up with a whole new plan for medication and we started again.  When she broke the news, I did start to cry.  I was just discouraged but at the same time thankful that we hadn’t been doing these meds for days and days before the lab results came in.  It had only been a day (but it felt like five!)

On Sunday, we did the same sorta stuff.  But they took the procedure down to every 24 hours rather than every 12.  And then another miracle!  Dr. Joanie came in to see Kylie and it turns out that Dr. Joanie’s job in the USA is to consult on septic joints in pediatrics.  I’m not kidding.  Dr. Joanie does a lot of other stuff, including internal medicine, but this was one of her areas of expertise.  God is awesome.

On Christmas Day, we did the procedure early in the morning so that Todd could be with his family for Christmas morning.  So Kylie, Emily and I were back to bed before 8 am!  We joined in the Tsiko team’s Christmas dinner and celebration and just as that was wrapping up, Nate phoned me.  Teddy was sick.  Nausea, fever, back pain.  And who was walking by just as I took the call?  Dr. Kelly – the pediatrician.  She told us what meds to give and said that if it didn’t clear up in the next day or so, to start him on malaria meds.  The next day all the symptoms returned and so Teddy was treated for malaria.

At Christmas dinner, I sat with Todd and his family and we had a heart-to-heart chat about Kylie’s condition.  It was a good.  And poor Todd, he’s a great doc and he’s tough and strong and treats things aggressively.  But as he chatted about our Kylie, he started to tear up.  He also let me know that she was getting pretty special treatment.  It wasn’t normal protocol that at a patient’s procedure that all the doctors showed up.  Every time she had it done there was Todd, Kelly, Dr. Dave, Gordon, Emily, me, (as if we’re part of the medical team!!) and sometimes John. We were receiving excellent care! Todd came over that night to change the dressings on her foot and then Kelly came at midnight for her late-night-meds.
 
Our real medical team.  Gordon, Emily, Todd, Dr. Dave and John.
Where am I?  Look at the next pic...
Like any good Momma, I'm sitting in the wheel chair,
just in case I faint at all these fun procedures!
On Wednesday morning, we had our first “pus free” day.  Yay!!  And Thursday it happened again.  Good news again!  Nate and the boys were coming on Saturday, so I only had to make it another day before they arrived.  I was getting really tired.  Late nights, early mornings, emotions, having to carry Kylie around the hospital (one day the truck had a flat tire, so I actually had to carry her TO the hospital).  I was done.

Here's the nasty foot with the drain still in, allowing pus to escape.
This is like a total "action shot" - look at the goo coming out her heel.
On Friday, Kylie had the procedure again and Todd really manipulated the joint, so sweet Gordon (by this time, everyone knew that Gordon was Kylie’s favourite!) gave her some morphine to help with the pain.  Wouldn’t you know that Kylie would react to morphine, so we had to stay at the hospital a little longer to make sure that she was okay (breathing is important, they say).

By Friday night, I was so done.  Tears were flowing freely – and if you know me, I hate crying!

This is Yowvi, the best nurse ever at getting an IV in!
Kylie loves this guy too.
Saturday morning, we woke up to a knock at the door.  There were two of Todd’s boys, with plates of fresh hot waffles for Kylie and I!  Can you believe it?  Waffle delivery is good medicine and heals all wounds.

Nate and the boys arrived mid afternoon and we had supper together.  It was so wonderful to be back together again.  We moved from the guest house to an actual house since by now, we were told that we would be staying in Tsiko for at least a month.  All the docs agreed that a LONG course of IV antibiotics was necessary to make sure that Kylie would regain full function of her joint. I was in no hurry to get back to Mango after all the love, care and kindness the Tsiko staff had shown.
I had a meeting with Todd and Kelly at 7 pm, so I took off to that shortly after we finished dinner.  The meeting was only about an hour and a half and when I returned home, there was Jack with a huge HUGE bandage on his head.  In the time I had been gone, he had decided to jump from the top bunk of the bed to the other bed in the room  – and didn’t take into account the ceiling fan.  Basically he was scalped.  Two layers of sutures (25 I think in the top layer) later, he was back at home bouncing around.

As I walked in the door and was told what happened, I sat down and uttered the words, “I’m going home.”  But Jack bounced around telling me he was just fine.  I guess he came out of the bedroom with blood pouring out of his head, so Nate sent Ethan running back to the guest house to find help.  Judy (an ex-EMT) came running and helped Nate get Jack to the hospital where Dr. Dave stitched him up.  Kelly’s parents are visiting from the USA, heard the commotion and came over the help, so they stayed with the other four kids.  By the time I got home, it was just Nate and the kids in the house, all the blood was cleaned up, and Jack was stitched back together.  All in an hour and a half.
Here are out two invalids!

The drain comes out!  Look at the hole where it was.  So yuck.
On Sunday night, Kylie began to have an allergic reaction to her antibiotics.  So the docs debated about what to try next.  I think Todd thought I was going to have a major melt down, so he tried to break it to me nice. They came up with a good option called Vancomycin.  It’s the strongest antibiotic there is. And it’s not available in Togo.  We called home to see if my brother could bring it out when he comes in mid-January.  Turns out he can, but it will cost us about $4000.00.  So we prayed about it. Todd had his pharmacists call around in country and amazingly they found it.  For just a few hundred dollars.  Yay – miracle number 11294958!!

And so we're at today - the new meds arrived yesterday and Kylie started them at this morning’s procedure (this is Thursday, I think....) She had a nasty reaction called “Red Man’s Reaction” (you can probably guess what happened to her) but it’s not an allergy.

Because this med is so strong, they have to slowly figure out how best to administer it to her, so we’ll continue to go to the hospital twice a day for IV meds.
Me and my Kylie-bear.  She's one tough cookie.  I'm one thankful Mom!



Kylie and Nate - so happy to have him here with us.  (My arms were getting so tired from carrying her!)


The Medical Team - kinda.  Me and Emily (the fakers) with Gordon and Todd (the real ones.) And Kylie
hanging on to her most favourite med!

One more gross shot.  This one is for my sister. She hates this stuff.


So that’s where we’re at.  There is actually MUCH more to tell, but you’re tired of reading already.
Thank you for praying.  Thank you for kind words, encouraging notes and supporting us through this.  We have certainly felt the LOVE!

We’re here in Tsiko until January 18th or so, if all goes well.  We plan to enjoy our time here and consider it a blessing from God to be in such a beautiful place, settled nicely into a comfy and cute house, surrounded by some of the kindest people I have ever met.
God is good.  Yes, He’s good.

(Oh, and P.S., we celebrated Christmas as a family on December 31.  We now consider that date “African Christmas”!)

Comments

  1. Wow Erin! Please tell Kylie that she is one tough girl and such a role model even at such a young age:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not tired of reading! I was sitting here astonished and dismayed and awestruck at what you have been through. Teddy! And Kylie! And Jack! (Do tell that boy to be careful! He's got a horse to ride when he gets back to Canada, and he needs to be intact!) I can't fathom a joint with that much infection in it. But what struck me the most about this post is how many smiles I see. Despite one thing after another, despite being tired, even in the midst of many tears, you're all still smiling. It's like God is saying through your smiles, "I'm with them," because surely that is the only reason you could be smiling in such circumstances.

    Nate, Erin, Ethan, Nolan, Kylie, Jack, and Teddy, I am praying for each of you by name. I am praying for complete healing for Teddy, Jack, and Kylie. I am praying for continued courage, grace, and peace for all of you. I am praying that God will continue to be glorified through you and in you. And I am praying Romans 16:20: "And the God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Marianne -- that has certainly been the REAL theme of this Christmas for our family. Emmanuel! :) Thank you for your unceasing prayers for each of us - we so desperately need them and so deeply appreciate them. Hugs from us. Jack will be glad to hear that a horse ride is waiting for him when he gets home. (He's falling in love with donkeys here - I wouldn't be surprised if the boy grows up to start some kind of founder of Save the Abused Donkeys of Africa Mission - wait that spells SADAM. :P

      Delete
  3. I am so not tired of reading. Been checking back every day. Ou my word girl. I just cried and cried as I read this....you are being out thru the wringer over there. How well I know that comPlete exhaustiOn....and when you are physically exhausted how spiritual exhaustion is just right there. SO glad that Nate is with you now and that your family is together....oh jack....is there any possible way to have those boys sit quietly on the couch and read for a week or so lol!?:) praying prayin praying for each of you! What a trooper Kylie is. Oh my friend. Continuing to pray for strength. No your own, but His. Too much to say here..love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not a story for the faint of heart. Kylie is such a little trooper, so proud of her--and you! for being so brave. I don't know how you're staying sane. Love to you and your family, thinking of and praying for you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. POOR Kylie!!! UGH, wow, and to be smiling even occasionally, wow. I am so humbled by your reaction to this experience. I cannot imagine how exhausted you must be, although I know what it's like to be in the hospital for days and days (and back and forth) and it just takes everything in you at times. Will be praying for these meds to kick in and heal Kylie completely, efficiently, quickly and that you can go home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Erin!
    First, those pictures were gross and intriguing! I had to put my head between my knees just looking at them.
    Second, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Megan and it seems as though the Lord is leading me to Mango to teach MK's! (I am still in the very beginning stages of the process.) I stumbled across your blog and have been encouraged by reading through the process of how you and your family ended up in Mango. Thank you for that.
    What a journey you have been on these past few weeks! I will be praying for you and your family, and I look forward to reading more about your time in Togo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Dear friend Wow! I just wish I could have gone with you to emerge, or given some shots, or at least baked an apple pie.
    I uttered the same words (bring those babies home) but I can see how God is working through you and in your family and this morning in me.
    May God bless you and keep you. I will be praying for you and in 18 months when you get home I'll make you an apple pie!
    Love Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing how a short 2 weeks in November have knit you all to my heart. These last few weeks, though not ideal by our definition of ideal, have brought so many "I Spy God" moments to your family. I will continue to pray for Kylie, as well as all of you. Like Jack, my head is a scar-marked battlefield, as well! I'd recommend a helmet for that boy but he'd probably just break it like I did. Was the ceiling fan ok? Poor fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin...WOW...you and your family are truly amazing and resilient. Praying for a quick recovery. Of course you know 2 things...you have had my complete attention in your recent posts, and Miss Kylie has officially entered into the "PP sisterhood". I think we may have completed the membership, since I am not sure what other bodily fluids could possibly meet criteria for entry. I hope you get a chuckle from that...hang in there Westons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Aunt Loretta told me about your move to Africa and that you had a blog. I have been catching up with all your family 'adventures' God has seen you through. It's exciting to hear how God is using you there. As a mom, my heart goes out to you through these physical trials! What a comfort to know we serve such a loving God and great Physician. May God richly bless your time there and continue to watch over your family.
    ~Alissa (Smith) Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Erin,
    I am Ruth, Marianne's house mate. I don't know you but Marianne has been telling me of your adventures. She forwarded this blog entry to me. I too, am astonished! I just want you to know that I am adding you and your family to my prayer list.
    You, Mama Bear, are a brave and godly woman!
    God's best to you in 2013!
    Ruth Williams

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so greatful for Gods hand in all this. You guys are having one memorable trip :) Give her a big hug, she's always been one tough kid. Gross pics but really help to explain. Thanks for taking time to explain everything. Of course you are in our prayers. Family will be there soon. God bless you all. Say thanks to the Drs 's for saving our little friends and stitching up the other one. 3 out of 5 needing medical attention is one record we would like to see stay unbroken. Blessings
    M&B

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW ERIN - you are simply an amazing vessel of God's Grace & Love. What an example to us of how to be a Mom. I am proud of you, and your kids and Nate are so fortunate to have you! Please don't think that we are tired of reading about your adventures!

    My family are keeping you in our prayers, and quite obviously He has a firm hand on you and yours. Keep blessing us with your tales, and photos. The medical team you have are truly an extension of God's own hand! Amazing!

    Blessings to you and yours, Kate Fisher (McConnell) & family

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding

Fufu Friday!

More Proof that God Sees