What the Dickens?




Week 2 back home has been interesting one.  This is going to be a pretty long post because there is a lot to cover, so hang with me.

Last Friday was Kylie's surgery date.  On the morning of, we got a call from the doc's office saying that they were ahead of schedule (as if the snow wasn't enough of a clue, I knew for certain I was not in Togo when I heard the words "ahead of schedule"!).  They were waiting for US!  Imagine, docs waiting for patients??

We left right away for the hospital and when we got there, we registered and then were zoomed through the paper work, taking Kylie's vitals and getting ready for surgery. 

Here we are in the little surgical waiting room:

And here we are gowned and ready to rock and roll about 3 minutes later.  These guys waste no time.



Before we went off to the OR, two of our pastors and my mom and my sister came in with us to pray.  Above photo is our little group who stood to pray for Kylie.  So awesome.

The hospital has a program where parents can go right into the OR until the child is "out" so I walked with Kylie right into the OR.  The surgeon was a little concerned that since I was in all her procedures in Togo that I might want to stay for the whole thing.  I assured her that I was NOT interested in watching them operate on my child!!  Kylie was so brave.

Here we are, ready to roll!

 Another clue that told me that I was no longer in Africa was when they asked me to refrain from taking photos in the OR.  So, no nasty pics of them opening her foot up.  But I quickly snapped one in recovery when the nurse wasn't looking.  Here's our sleepy head.  Surgery - done and done!



While Kylie was getting operated on, we had a little group in the waiting room.  Here's Nate's mom and my mom and below is my sis and Nate's sis.  It was a family affair.  Thanks to Nate's dad, our 2 pastors, and Bill for hanging out with us while we waited.
 
 


The surgeon came out to talk with me after she was finished and said that everything went well.  They were able to get out some of the nastiness in Kylie's heel bone and were hoping to culture some of the bacteria so they could find out what we were dealing with.  We thought we'd be able to go home that night but the plan changed -- don't they so often do that on us?  We were moved to the children's ward so that Kylie could get IV antibiotics until we could see the infectious disease doctor.  

She slept well Friday night (I stayed with her in the hospital) and on Saturday morning, they removed the dressings.  Beware - nasty pic below - but not nearly so nasty as some of the others I've posted.


You can see the surgeon's initials on her foot here.  Just so they get the right one!


Her wound looked good and they had her up and walking with a little walker and an air cast by Saturday afternoon.  She was doing great! Walking around, watching some TV in her bed, eating hospital food that she deemed 'delicious'!

We found out that Kylie needed to see the Infectious Disease doc (herein known as ID Dr.) but that we couldn't/wouldn't see her til Monday.  So our hospital stay was dragging out.  The surgeon wanted the ID Dr. to see her so they could make decisions about what kind of meds, how long etc.  Most of the docs who came in the meantime thought we were looking at 3-6 weeks of meds and then we'd be back to Africa.

Monday afternoon, ID Dr. enters our lives.  And blows us away.

Disclaimer:  This next part is the very dumbed-down version of what I understand this brilliant woman said.  And believe me she said A LOT.   She even began her explanation going as far back as World War 2, so there was a lot of info coming into my rather non-medical brain.

ID Dr. went through all Kylie's medical history from December to now with us and then asked what we thought might happen.  I told her the 6 week scenario.  Her next words were, "Okay, then what I'm gonna say next is gonna blow your mind."

Lovely.

She explained that the original infection in Kylie's ankle was indeed a staph infection.  It was the nasty kind that tries to kill you.  It was treated and we thought we were totally on the path to recovery. We knew back in January that this particular kind of infection is what they call MRSA (I can't recall the true interpretation of this acronym but here's what it means to me:  Medically Resistant to Scads of Antibiotics).  Meaning that the only med that will fix it is the big guns. Vancomycin.

If you recall our Tsiko days, we used Vanco until we cleaned out the whole country.  Then we moved to a different med.  The ID Dr. told us that they cultured what came out of Kylie's foot last Friday and turns out it is a completely different strain of staph.  In fact it's two different strains that are entirely new to Kylie.  So somewhere along the lines of our last few months, a new kind of staph found it's way into her foot.  
This NEW staph is entirely different.  It doesn't want to kill you but it does not want to be killed.  It will look as though you've beaten it and then it will rear it's ugly head and you're back in the ring, fighting it again.

The answer then?  Kill it.  With (at least) one year of IV antibiotics.  And yes, vanco is the one. 

Basically after that, ID Dr. and I discussed the three very solid reasons why we can't do this in Africa:

1.  We might very well run out of Vanco again.

2.  When you're taking Vanco, you have to have continual blood work done in a specialized test so that you can make sure you have enough in your system to kill the bug, but not too much to fry your kidneys.

3. Vanco in a regular IV will kill your veins, so Kylie needs a pic line put in - which is an internal IV that runs from a little port on the outside of her arm, inside her veins to the big vein that leads to her heart.

And we have to do this for at least one year.  Possibly more.

This was overwhelming to say the least.

The last few things that ID Dr and I talked about were how fortunate we are that Kylie is alive, how this could have gone so very wrong and how fortunate we are that her foot is saved.  But we all know that those are miracles from the hand of God, so really, He gets the credit for all that.  (As do the docs, nurses and technicians in Tsiko that we know and LOVE who saved our daughter.)

I think we are just so naive.  So spared from the tragedy that could have been.  So covered in prayer and love and grace that this kind of news just sorta bounced off us as unbelievable.  

Our time in Togo is done?  It hasn't even sunk in.  It's disappointing.  It's heart-breaking.  It's so NOT what we had hoped for, dreamed about or imagined.

But it's our reality.  And in it all, we totally need your prayers.  There are a lot of things to figure out right now.  Decisions, discussions, changes-in-plans, and Nate and I are far, far, far apart.  

As of right now, Kylie and I are still hanging out in the hospital.  She's sorta bottom of the list of importance for a pic line because she isn't in a state of emergency.  It could be days til she gets that in.  Please pray that it's done soon so we can get home, organize home-care for her meds and begin to figure this out.

And know that we are pressed, but not crushed.  Knocked down but not destroyed. 

He is still good.


Comments

  1. I am totally blown away. I don't know what to say. I'm sorry you're coming home? I'm glad you're coming home? I'm glad Kylie is alive? I AM glad she's alive! Oh, God, how glad I am she's alive. I'm sorry she needs to undergo this misery for the next year (or more). What can be said? Why has this happened? What is the point? I don't know. What I do know is this: God is enough. He is worthy. And yes, he is still good. And I am praying that you have the strength and courage to hold onto that no matter what.

    I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...Erin! Blown away is an understatement. Thankfully, God has all this covered. So much to do and process. I am praying that you will feel His presence very close to you. I do not even know what to say. You are such an incredible example to all of us. If you need anything, please ask. Praying for all of you! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Erin...this is so unbelievable...first that she was able to be saved from this serious infection and second that you will not be able to return. I've so loved following your story in Togo and all that has happened there so I too can't believe that it's over for you. So sad but expecting great things from God in this! Praying for you all as you make decisions that will be heartbreaking no matter what! Love and prayers! (and so nice to see P. Don.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Erin! I can't even believe what my eyes have just read. God is so good and gracious and sovereign and I am so thankful for the amazing people that have come into your life (of course, not by chance) to meet Kylie's medical needs. This is amazing.
    I am so sorry for the blow you have received with the news of Kylie's needs for this next year or so.
    I am praying for you guys as you make the necessary decisions and especially since you and Nate are separated right now as you process all of this...As you talk all of your options out and work through the reality of what is happening, I am praying that you feel His presence and peace, and ultimately that His hand guides you in all of this. He is able to do far more than this, and I am trusting Him for more!

    Love you guys and will be holding you ALL up in prayer.
    The Radtke's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought I would pass along a suggestion to you. Research high dose vitamin C therapy. Taking sodium ascorbate (non GMO) at high doses (350mg per kg of body weight taken throughout the day till infection is gone) would kill off the staph infection. (Sodium ascorbate not calcium ascorbate) Praying for the Lord's wisdom as you continue forward and for your daughter's recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Erin. . . thank you sooo much for keeping us all in the loop as we journey with you and your family in this very unpredictable adventure. You are so brave. There is no doubt that God is your strength, your Rock, your guide and your hope. He has used you and your family mightily in Africa and here around the world with all those who have come in contact with your family. There is so much for you to process over the coming days, weeks and months. God's ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts, but they are far greater and higher than ours'. Continue to give Him all the glory for what He has done. You and your family are precious to Him and He will use this to continue to draw you closer to His side and closer to His image.
    If there is ANYTHING that I can do, I would love to help out - hospital visits, meals, hang out at our house, etc.
    Know that you and your family are loved and prayed for so much.
    Love,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Erin- unreal. I have been following what's been happening since the start, and praying for K and all of you. I am relieved to hear she will be ok, and I am so sorry you won't be going back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our God is a sovereign God who makes no mistakes. He has a plan and he is fulfilling it. Glad that God providentially spared Kylie's life, whats next ... He know, rest in His grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't imagine what you all are going through. Very thankful to God for Kylie. Continuing to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Erin,
    Have anxiously (admittedly) and in great prayer been watching K's story unfold, along with that of your entire family. God has certainly paved a path of protection for Kylie, and I am so grateful she is doing so well. Boys and Christine have been keeping us updated. Our entire extended fam. is upholding each member of your family in prayer now, and throughout the entire re-routing year upcoming. If there is anything you need, please let us help. God is good; Hold fast. Love and Prayers, JK Remigers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding

Fufu Friday!

More Proof that God Sees