Just a quick note...

I'm sorry (again) for my tardiness in writing.  Summer is totally flying by quickly and I haven't had too much to say on this blog, since it was kinda about Africa and we're not there.  Bummer.

I suppose if I was talking to you in person, I'd tell you that the transition to life at home in Canada has been fairly smooth.  Fairly.  But not perfectly.  And, on top of that, I'd WANT to tell you that it's been most difficult for the children.  But that would be a lie.  The kids are great.  The truth is that it's been way more difficult for Nate and I than it has for the kids.  Obviously the kids are tougher than us, but I think that this blog has already proven that and could be used in a court of law as Peoples Exhibit A if a case for our kids NOT being tough ever came up.  But I'm pretty sure that we won't be going to court over that (perhaps that analogy was a little over the top....)

Anyhow.

Nate and I are doing MUCH better.  May be that's why I wasn't posting.  I didn't want to have to admit that this was harder than we thought it would be.  That we were both just plain sad.  Sad at the loss of our hopes and dreams to be in Togo with our family serving the Lord.  Sad because we've got a couple of kids who are still dealing with health issues that seem to create issues that might just be with them for life.  Sad because we have this adorable picture of Jack and Bullet (our  African dog) and Jack stares at it every night at bedtime.  If you look below you can see it.  It's a heart-breaker.



I think it's okay for us to be sad, as I'm sure you'll agree.  But I think it's hard to admit your sad when you kind of feel like you have NOTHING to be sad about.  Are we sad because we get to be home with our family and friends?  No.  Are we sad because we get to live in a climate that is waaaaay more comfortable in temperature and weather than in Togo?  Nope.  Are we sad because we live in a house that any of our Togolese friends would be shocked to see?  No way!  Are we sad because we have an awesome health care system that lets us walk in and out of the hospital, getting treatments and seeing doctors without having to pay a cent?  Not on your life.

So it feels a little guilty, a little too self-centred to admit that we're having a tough time.  So we didn't.  But things are getting better and we're happy that we can say that!   You have nothing to worry about -- we're just fine!

But, we have one little teensy request!  Kylie has been doing really well and her last four blood work results have come back with NORMAL numbers.  (Yay for normal!!)  The last time we spoke with the doc, she said that if we had four or five in a row, we could consider booking an MRI.  Tomorrow, Kylie has blood work number five AND an appointment with her surgeon.  Would you please pray with us that this blood work would also be normal and that we could book a date for an MRI??  That's our prayer request!  Would you join with us in asking God for this??  (I knew you'd say yes!)

And, tomorrow, I will post what happens!  Thanks so much for your love and prayers -- we sure need them!


Comments

  1. Dear Erin,

    You and Nate are grieving.

    Deb Finch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb and I are listening to a series that Rick Warren is speaking on and he mentioned all of these things, here is the link http://saddleback.com/mc/m/53359/audio/. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going through culture shock too. I agree with Deb as well, but there is a sense of culture shock that stays with you and gets worse each time you go away and come back. I'll pray for your daughter's blood results another time around!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding

Fufu Friday!

More Proof that God Sees